Sri Chinmoy Heart-Garden 2-Mile Run Tuesday October 10, 2017
An annual event drawing participants from many countries, in celebration of Sri Chinmoy's life and love of running.
About the event
The Sri Chinmoy Heart-Garden was dedicated by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in honour of Sri Chinmoy, the renowned peace philosopher, author, composer, artist, humanitarian and athlete, on October 11, 2006. Exactly one year later Sri Chinmoy passed on leaving a vibrant legacy of world service and creativity in many fields.
In celebration of his life, and his love of running, the international Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team inaugurated the Heart-Garden Two-Mile Race in his name in October 2009. It is now an annual event drawing participants from many countries.
For directions, please view map or view details below.
- 10:00 AM
Schedule and Driving Directions
10:00 am Welcome & Heart-Garden 2-mile Race start
10:30 am Sri Chinmoy Oneness-Home Peace Run Torch received by officials and Olympians – Commemorative Torch Relay Walk (5 minutes).
The Peace Run is history’s largest torch relay fostering cultural exchange and wide youth participation and has been endorsed by dozens of heads of state, leaders from all faiths and national and international sports committees. The Run was founded in 1987 by peace visionary Sri Chinmoy and has travelled through 150 countries.
10:40 am Race Awards Presented
10:50 am A few words from NYC Parks officials and special guests
11:00 am Light Refreshments
Prakhara Harter (404) 275-1612; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
** IMPORTANT ** IMPORTANT **
Due to major construction in the area of Flushing Meadows Park north of Meadow Lake, currently the only route to the parking lot next to 'Race-Day Central' is to enter the park from westbound 69th Road, just past the intersection of Park Drive East. If you've been to our races before, this is NOT the usual route into the park.
Also, due to one-way roads, exiting the park is via a slightly different route.
Because navigation apps do not recognize some of the roads inside the park and are not up to date with the road closures due to construction, we recommend the following:
1. Use this google map link to navigate to westbound 69th Rd. using GPS. This is just outside the park.
2. Then follow the map and instructions on this PDF for driving from westbound 69th Rd. into the park and to Race-Day Central, which is about one mile inside the park.
Alternatively, you can follow these written instructions from the Van Wyck or Grand Central Parkway:
FROM SOUTHBOUND VAN WYCK EXPRESSWAY:
- Take Exit 11 "Flushing Meadows Corona Park / 69 Rd. - Jewel Ave."
- After 0.2 miles, use the middle lane to continue towards "Van Wyck Expwy / 69 Rd. - Jewel Ave." (do not follow exit on right that says"Flushing Meadows Corona Park")
- After 0.3 miles, exit right towards "69 Rd. - Jewel Ave."
- After 0.2 miles turn right at the stoplight. You are now on westbound 69 Rd. follow directions below "To parking lot"
FROM NORTHBOUND VAN WYCK EXPRESSWAY:
- Take Exit 11 "69 Rd. - Jewel Ave."
- After 0.1 miles, turn left onto Park Dr. East
- After 0.3 miles, turn left at the stoplight onto 69 Rd. / Jewel Ave. Follow directions below "To parking lot"
FROM EASTBOUND GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY:
- Take Exit 11 "69 Rd. - Jewel Ave.", merge onto service road
- After 0.4 miles (2nd stoplight), turn left onto Jewel Avenue.
- After 0.4 miles, get in the left lane and make a U-turn at Park Dr. East (2nd stoplight). You are now on westbound 69 Rd. Follow directions below "To parking lot"
FROM WESTBOUND GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY:
- Take Exit 11E-W "Jewel Ave. - 69 Rd."
- After 0.1 miles, stay to the right towards "Jewel Ave. - 69 Rd."
- The exit ramp curves to the right and merges onto Jewel Ave.
- After 0.2 miles, get in the left lane and make a U-turn at Park Dr. East (2nd stoplight). You are now on westbound 69 Rd. Follow directions below "To parking lot"
TO PARKING LOT:
Directions begin from westbound 69 Rd., west of Park Dr. East
- After 0.1 mi, take exit on right for “Grand Central Parkway / RFK Bridge”
- After 0.1 mi, take an unmarked exit ramp on the right. Merge onto park road (Meadow Lake Dr.)
- After 0.3 mi, bear right to stay on Meadow Lake Dr. (DON'T bear left, you’ll end up on the Grand Central Parkway!) The first section of road here is a little rough and often has big puddles, but you’re heading the right way.
- After 0.6 mi, bear left at the fork.
- After 0.1 mi, turn right into the parking lot
To view the location of "Race-Day Central" on google maps, you can either click this google map link, or type in "Meadowlark Circle, Queens, NY 11375", but DON'T use GPS to try to navigate there from outside the park, it will try to send you through one of the entrances that are currently closed.
About the Organisers
The Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team
Serving the running community for over 40 years...
Team Founder Sri Chinmoy
A lifelong advocate of fitness and self-transcendence...