Self-Transcendence La Jolla Swim & Run
1-mile ocean swim at La Jolla Shores followed by a 10K or 5K run on beach at water's edge (swim-only or run-only option available)
About the event
The Self-Transcendence La Jolla Swim & Run begins with a 1-mile ocean swim and continues with a 10K or 5K run at La Jolla Shores Beach (on a loop course along flat-packed sand at water's edge). Run-only entry is also an option.
All staging, check-in, etc. takes place at La Jolla Shores Beach. Athletes should park in the La Jolla Shores parking lot or along the local streets. There is plenty of parking available early in the morning.
Pre-registration is strongly recommended but day-of-race registration will be available from 6:00 a.m. to 6:40 a.m. at La Jolla Shores Beach.
All athletes will be required to sign a Liability Waiver on race day. Athletes under 18 years of age must bring along a parent to sign the waiver on race day. All athletes are required to wear their paper race number bib during the RUN portion of the event (and a body number during the swim).
1-mile Swim and choice of 10K or 5K Run
- 7:30 am La Jolla Shores
- Pre-registration: $60 Individuals, $80 Relay
- Day-of-race: $70 Individuals, $90 Relay
- Swim-only or Run-only: $40
- Under 18 Sprint Swim & Run: $40
- View course map »
5K or 10K Run-only
- 7:50 am (register by 7:00)
Under-18 Short Course Swim & Run Sprint
- 8:15 am (register by 7:00)
- Parental signature required
ContactVasudha (Race Director, Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team)619-251-6321Send Email
- Awards for each age group in Swim & Run: 19/under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60/over
- Awards for top Men's, Women's & Mixed relay teams in Swim & Run
- Run-only option does not feature age-group awards but does include all other race items and features
- 14/Under Short Course Sprint Swim & Run will have awards for top male and female athletes
- How to Enter
- Instructions for Race Day
- Swim-only or Run-only event
- Course Map
- Under 18 Sprint Swim & Run
PRE-REGISTRATION is available by mail, phone (no added fee), or online at Active.com (dded fee). Pre-registration closes May 15.
DAY-OF-RACE REGISTRATION is available from 6:00 a.m. to 6:40 a.m. at La Jolla Shores Beach.
For additional information, please call Race Director at 619-251-6321.
- Please plan to arrive at LA JOLLA SHORES BEACH by 6:30 a.m. (by 6:15 if not pre-registered). There is ample parking at this time of the morning in the parking lot or along the street. There are several things that need to be done before the start, so we advise you to arrive early enough to get it all done in a stress-free manner.
- Proceed to either the PRE-REGISTERED CHECK-IN table or the DAY-OF-RACE REGISTRATION table You will check in, sign the Liability Waiver (required for all athletes), get your race bib, and get your t-shirt (or water bottle). Please note that both members of a relay team must check in and sign the waiver. Also, all athletes under the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by a parent who will sign the Liability Waiver. (Note that unlike previous years, the race bibs will not be sent by mail ahead of time; this is because the timing chips are put on the bibs just prior to race day.)
- Next, go to the BODY NUMBER AREA. All swimmers must get a body number. Note that you DO NOT WEAR YOUR PAPER RACE BIB IN THE WATER. However, you MUST wear your paper race bib during the run portion of the race. To help with chip timing, attach your bib to a race belt or use two pins (at the top) to attach to the front of your shirt or shorts. Your race bib must be able to be seen by race officials during the entirety of the Run. Please bring your own swimming cap.
- Once you have your body number, proceed to the TRANSITION AREA where you will arrange your running gear in the designated area. We’ll provide a clear drawstring bag (18” x 20”) for you to put your gear into, as well as a bag tag that matches your race bib number. (You can use your own gear bag if you like.)
Be sure to attach your paper race number (with timing chip) to either the shirt, shorts, or race belt you will wear during the Run (again, please don’t wear it during the Swim). We advise athletes to wear running shoes during the run portion of the race, but we do not require it. This year will be a very low tide, so there should be plenty of flat-packed sand to run on (but there may also be small rocks and seaweed).
- At about 7:10, the Starter will walk athletes south along the beach to the designated swim start area. The Swim will start promptly at 7:30 a.m. The swim is an out-and-back around three large orange buoys. The swim begins near the boat ramp, but the swim exit is at the main lifeguard tower at La Jolla Shores (near the Transition Area). San Diego City lifeguards will accompany the swimmers.
- The Run course is a 1.03-mile loop. 10K runners will do six loops; 5K runners will do 3 loops. To help you track your laps, note the time on the clock when you start the run, and keep in mind that each lap should approximate your 1-mile pace. Top athletes in each category will be counted by Race Officials for back-up, but all athletes are required to count their own laps.
- If you are in the low-tide Run-only category (not swimming), please congregate near the Run Start (chip timing threshold) when others walk down the beach to start the swim. The race officials will start you with a separate "gun start;" the exact time will be determined race morning.
- A note about CHIP TIMING: For the first time, we are featuring chip timing this year. Here’s how it works:
- The “gun time” (swim start) will be the start time for all athletes (except those doing the run-only category).
- When you exit the water, there will be a clock and there will be a volunteer calling out swim times. Please take note this time yourself if you want to know your exact swim split.
- After you emerge from the Transition Area, your RUN TIME will start as soon as you cross under the timing arch. On each loop of the course, when you cross the timing arch, it will record your split (1.03 miles). As you complete the last lap, the chip timing will record your FINISH TIME. Your Finish Time minus your Run Time will be recorded as your “swim + transition time.”
- An Awards Ceremony will be held around 9:15 a.m. Please grab some refreshments after your race, relax on the beach, and stick around for the awards!
Please contact the Race Director at 619-251-6321 if you want to do only the Swim or Run portion of the event. Discounted entries ($40) are available for these categories, but a separate race number is required. Swim-only and Run-only participants get all race amenities (Transition Area, T-shirt, Finisher's Medal, Refreshments, Timing, Results, etc.) but there are no age-group awards for these categories.
Parental signature required for all entries (regardless of event type) for athletes under 18. The short course sprint option is new for 2019. Once the adult Swim & Run athletes are out of the water, the youth event will start with a out-and-back to the first buoy and then will continue with one complete loop of the run course. Details of distance and start time are still being worked out. Please stay tuned!
About the Organisers
The Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team
Serving the running community for over 40 years...
Team Founder Sri Chinmoy
A lifelong advocate of fitness and self-transcendence...