Sri Chinmoy 1-Mile & 4-Mile Race "Around The World"
Two fun and scenic races through Flushing Meadows Park!
About the event
Ready to run "Around The World"? Then this event is for you!
Both races take place in Flushing Meadows Park on a scenic and relatively flat course that includes a gentle curve around ‘The World’ - the iconic 140-ft tall World’s Fair Unisphere. Choose one of the following 3 options:
1-Mile Race: 9:30AM start. An out-and-back course, the turnaround is a gentle 250-meter curve around the "The World" (Unisphere). Course includes a small hill. Sprinters, runners and joggers welcome! View course map >>
4-Mile Race: 10:00AM start. Two laps around a 2-mile loop, which includes the 1-mile section described above (you get to run around "The World" twice!), and a 1-mile section that touches the shores of Meadow Lake. View course map >>
1+4 CHALLENGE: Are you up for the CHALLENGE? Run the 1-Mile Race at 9:30 am, catch your breath and rest up, then set off on the 4-Mile Race at 10am! Competitors are eligible for awards in both the 1-mile and 4-mile races, and those with the fastest combined 1-mile and 4-mile times will receive "1+4 CHALLENGE" awards.
This event is sponsored by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team in cooperation with the NYC Parks Dept.
- 9:30 A.M.
- $20 through Nov 23
- $25 through Dec 7, 5PM
- $35 Race-Day, IF AVAILABLE
- View course map »
- 10:00 A.M.
Registration and Fees
We strongly recommend pre-registering for this event, race-day registration may not be available.
Register Online through RedPodium or Active. Processing fee applies (RedPodium has lower fee).
Register by mail: (avoid processing fee). Download entry form. Entry must be postmarked no later than Friday, November 23 to be accepted.
1-mile: Early $20, Late $25, Race Day (IF available) $35
4-mile: Early $25, Late $30, Race Day (IF available) $40
1+4 CHALLENGE: Early $30, Late $35, Race Day (IF available) $45
Early registration: Through Friday, November 23 (online or by mail)
Late registration: Through December 7, 5PM (online only)
Race-day registration: 8:30 - 9:15 am on race day, except for 4-mile registration which ends at 9:30 a.m. Cash, check, money order ONLY. (Sorry, no credit cards).
Remember: Register early and save yourself a few bucks, guarantee yourself a T-shirt, and make things easier for us!
Entries are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another person.
Number pickup for all races will be on race-day only:
1-Mile Race and 1+4 CHALLENGE: 8:30-9:15 a.m.
4-Mile Race: 8:30-9:30 a.m.
Free "I Ran Around the World!" T-Shirts for all participants registered by November 23 (Early Registration)
For Late Registration, any extra T-Shirts will be available after the race, distributed on a first-come first-serve basis
T-Shirt sizes are Unisex: X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, 2XL
Mens and Womens awards categories, for all races:
Under 50: Top 3
50-59: First Place
60 and over: First Place
Awards ceremonies: 10:45AM
Post-Race Pancake Breakfast!
Hot pancakes are even more enjoyable when they’re earned, and we’re cooking them up fresh for everyone on race day! And yes, friends and family are welcome to dig in, too.
There will be a kids race at 9:15 a.m. for children under 13. Registration is $5 and is on race day only, starting at 8:30 a.m. Each child will receive a small prize.
1-Mile: 20 minutes
4-Mile: 1 hour (15 minute/mile pace)
1-mile: Open to ages 10 & up
4-mile, & 1+4 CHALLENGE: Open to ages 15 & up
The closest subway station is Mets-Willets Point on the number 7 subway line (view MTA subway map).
Click to open 'Race-Day Central' in Google Maps (note: if you are driving there do NOT use this link)
Exit the train and follow the signs to Flushing Meadows Corona Park. This will lead you across a bridge. Essentially, you'll first head for the Unisphere - pass it - and then walk over the footbridge over the Long Island Expressway to get to the race staging area at Meadowlark Circle at the North end of Meadow Lake. It’s a little more than 1 mile from the Subway station to the race staging area (the perfect warm-up jog!). View map of walking route from Mets-Willets station to race.
** IMPORTANT ** IMPORTANT ** Due to major construction in the area of Flushing Meadows Park north of Meadow Lake, currently the only route to the parking lot next to 'Race-Day Central' is to enter the park from westbound 69th Road, just past the intersection of Park Drive East. If you've been to our races before, this is NOT the usual route into the park.
Also, due to one-way roads, exiting the park is via another route.
Because navigation apps do not recognize some of the roads inside the park and are not up to date with the road closures due to construction, we recommend the following:
1. Use this google map link to navigate to westbound 69th Rd. using GPS. This is just outside the park.
2. Then follow the map and instructions on this PDF for driving from westbound 69th Rd. into the park and to Race-Day Central, which is about one mile inside the park.
Alternatively, you can follow these written instructions from the Van Wyck or Grand Central Parkway:
FROM SOUTHBOUND VAN WYCK EXPRESSWAY:
- Take Exit 11 "Flushing Meadows Corona Park / 69 Rd. - Jewel Ave."
- After 0.2 miles, use the middle lane to continue towards "Van Wyck Expwy / 69 Rd. - Jewel Ave." (do not follow exit on right that says"Flushing Meadows Corona Park")
- After 0.3 miles, exit right towards "69 Rd. - Jewel Ave."
- After 0.2 miles turn right at the stoplight. You are now on westbound 69 Rd. follow directions below "To parking lot"
FROM NORTHBOUND VAN WYCK EXPRESSWAY:
- Take Exit 11 "69 Rd. - Jewel Ave."
- After 0.1 miles, turn left onto Park Dr. East
- After 0.3 miles, turn left at the stoplight onto 69 Rd. / Jewel Ave. Follow directions below "To parking lot"
FROM EASTBOUND GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY:
- Take Exit 11 "69 Rd. - Jewel Ave.", merge onto service road
- After 0.4 miles (2nd stoplight), turn left onto Jewel Avenue.
- After 0.4 miles, get in the left lane and make a U-turn at Park Dr. East (2nd stoplight). You are now on westbound 69 Rd. Follow directions below "To parking lot"
FROM WESTBOUND GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY:
- Take Exit 11E-W "Jewel Ave. - 69 Rd."
- After 0.1 miles, stay to the right towards "Jewel Ave. - 69 Rd."
- The exit ramp curves to the right and merges onto Jewel Ave.
- After 0.2 miles, get in the left lane and make a U-turn at Park Dr. East (2nd stoplight). You are now on westbound 69 Rd. Follow directions below "To parking lot"
TO PARKING LOT:
Directions begin from westbound 69 Rd., west of Park Dr. East
- After 0.1 mi, take exit on right for “Grand Central Parkway / RFK Bridge”
- After 0.1 mi, take a unmarked exit ramp on the right. Merge onto park road (Meadow Lake Dr.)
- After 0.3 mi, bear right to stay on Meadow Lake Dr. (DON'T bear left, you’ll end up on the Grand Central Parkway!) The first section of road here is a little rough and often has big puddles, but you’re heading the right way.
- After 0.6 mi, bear left at the fork.
- After 0.1 mi, turn right into the parking lot
To view the location of "Race-Day Central" on google maps, you can either click this google map link, or type in "Meadowlark Circle, Queens, NY 11375", but DON'T use GPS to try to navigate there from outside the park, it will try to send you through one of the entrances that are currently closed.
About the Organisers
The Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team
Serving the running community for over 35 years...
Team Founder Sri Chinmoy
A lifelong advocate of fitness and self-transcendence...