Sri Chinmoy 5K - Alley Pond Park
Our Annual 5K in Beautiful Alley Pond Park!
About the event
Join us on Sunday, September 27, for the Fourth Annual Sri Chinmoy 5K in Alley Pond Park, featuring a scenic 5K loop course through the park. 10AM race start.
A fun and scenic 5K loop through Alley Pond Park and a section on the Vanderbilt Parkway. Course is 99% paved, with two very short sections across dirt/gravel. Full disclosure - this course does have hills!
Sponsored by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team in cooperation with the New York City Dept. of Parks and Recreation.
- 10:00 AM
The following is a list of measures we are taking in order to help protect the health and safety of both participants and race personnel. As the situation is fluid, this page may be updated. Please make sure to add [email protected] to your address book in order to receive important email updates.
- This race is capped at 50 participants. You must register in advance, there will be no race-day registration.
- in the 14 days prior to the event if you 1) experience COVID-19 symptoms, or 2) test positive for COVID-19, or 3) come in close contact with a confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case, you may not attend the event.
- Only registered runners with their race bib pinned to the front of their shirt will be permitted in the race staging area. Sorry, no guests / spectators.
- Face coverings and physical distancing (min. 6 ft.) are mandatory at all times in the race staging area.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the race staging area and at aid stations.
- Prior to the race start, runners will stand on rows of marks spaced 6ft. apart leading up to the start line. There will be two separate start waves: men runners at 10AM (white bibs), women runners at 10:15AM (yellow bibs)
- Face coverings are required during the race when physical distancing is not possible.
- Sealed water bottles will be available at aid stations in lieu of water cups.
- After finishing, please exit the race area as soon as you can.
- If you experience COVID-19 symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 in the 14 days following the event, you must notify us immediately. We will cooperate with contact tracing efforts, including notification of potential close contacts, while maintaining confidentiality required by state and federal law and regulations.
Prefer to run solo? We’re also offering a virtual version of this race, you can complete the 5K distance on your own anytime from September 25-28 and you’ll receive a race shirt and finisher medal in the mail afterwards.
Once you've completed your race, please use the form further down on this page to submit your results
Registration and Fees
Register Online through RedPodium. Processing fee applies.
Early registration: In-Person 5K: $30, Virtual 5K: $25, through Sunday, September 13
Late registration: In-Person 5K: $35, Virtual 5K: $30, through Friday, September 25, 5PM or until race sells out.
Strictly no race-day registration
You cannot transfer from the Virtual race to the In-Person version of this event. Entries are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another person.
There will be no packet pickup on race day.
All participants will be receive their race shirts and bibs in the mail in advance of the race, to further limit on-site interactions on race-day. You will be notified by email when your package ships. Please help us by registering early, entering a valid U.S. shipping address, and adding [email protected] to your address book to ensure you receive notifications.
Free race T-shirts for all participants.
T-Shirt sizes are Unisex: X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, 2XL
Men’s and Women’s awards categories:
Under 50: Top 3
50 and over: First place
Awards will be mailed to winners after the race. There will be no awards ceremony at the race.
Medals provided for all finishers
Participants have up to one hour to complete the race
Participants must be 13 years or older on race-day.
Please note that Alley Pond Park is a very large park in Eastern Queens, bordered by the Long Island Expressway, the Cross Island Expressway and Grand Central Parkway. There are several different park entrances and parking lots, make sure to review these directions before going to the race so you don’t get lost.
There is a large parking lot (free parking) right next to Race-Day Central. By far the easiest way to get there is by using Google Maps navigation: Click here to open parking lot location on Google Maps, or type in "224-16 76th Ave, Oakland Gardens, NY 11364", which is the house opposite the parking lot entrance. After entering the parking lot, turn right and go all the way to the end, Race-Day Central is about 50 meters off to the left past the end of the lot.
The Q27 and Q88 buses stop near Race-Day Central. "Subway Only" New Yorkers: Be not afraid! It's a free transfer from subway to bus and vice versa, and it's all rather efficient these days. For example: 50 minutes total travel time by subway then bus from Roosevelt Ave./ Jackson Heights stop in Queens to the race, and about the same by LIRR then bus from Brooklyn's Atlantic Terminal to the race.
About the Organisers
The Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team
Serving the running community for over 40 years...
Team Founder Sri Chinmoy
A lifelong advocate of fitness and self-transcendence...